Indian Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today underlined the importance of infrastructure in his scheme of things for the Indian economy while presenting the Union Budget in Parliament.
The 10 measures regarding infrastructure summarised here:
- To construct one crore houses by 2019 for homeless;
- Awas Yojana allocation raised from Rs 15,000 cr to Rs 23,000 cr;
- 27,000 cr on to be spent on PMGSY; 1 cr houses to be completed by 2017-18 for houseless;
- 100 pc electrification of villages to be completed by May 2018;
- 133 km road per day constructed as against 73-km in 2011-14;
- A new metro rail policy will be announced, this will open up new jobs for our youth;
- Two new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) to be set up in Jharkhand and Gujarat;
- Select airports in tier-II cities to be taken up for operations, development on PPP mode;
- 500 railway stations will be differently abled by providing lifts and escalators; and
- Railway line of 3,500 km will be commissioned in 2017-18 as against 2,800 km in 2016-17.